Sunday, July 3, 2011

13 Just Might Be My Lucky Number

Three months ago I embarked on an amazing journey, when I applied to be a contestant on the 12th season of The Biggest Loser reality show. I had finally reached that place in my mind and heart that said it was time to put a serious effort into getting healthy, and breaking free from morbid obesity. The chances of me being selected to be on the show were extremely slim, so I made a promise to myself to start my weight loss journey before they made the casting decisions. When I was not selected I was able to continue on my own. The friends I met on Twitter during the casting process, and continue to meet, have been a phenomenal help, with their constant encouragement and advice.

On that note...it's time to try again. The Biggest Loser will be releasing information soon on auditions for season 13. I'm going for it, so I've been busy collecting video clips, writing my blog and making myself known on the Internet. This time I'll be a lot harder to overlook!

At the start of my journey, I weighed 267.8 pounds and I barely exercised. After making the discussion to lose weight on my own, I was determined to make big changes in myself. The first step was to remove all junk food and candy from my home. The next was to purchase a journal to write down everything I eat, all of my exercise and to celebrate my successes. After that I went grocery shopping for lean proteins, fruits, veggies and whole grains. I began trying out new recipes and my family became my guinea pigs. Exercise was almost non-existent in my life so I started slow at first. I started going to the park every other day and walking a mile. I was experiencing a lot of pain in my right foot; in the arch, heel and Achilles tendon areas. I was scared that I wouldn't be able to exercise anymore, and that would be devastating to my goals. My next move was to make an appointment with my doctor. I found out that I had Plantar Fasciitis (a.k.a. Heel Spur). She gave me a whole list of stretches to do everyday that would help my foot and get me back on track. With the help of these stretches and a Dr. Scholl's insert, I was able to continue walking and I am now up to 4 miles every other day. I am also doing aerobic workouts on the days I don't go to the track. I make sure to have a rest day 1-2 days a week to allow my muscles to recuperate.  When I'm on that track, walking further than I ever have and listening to my favorite songs, I feel so empowered! I know I can do this and I'm ready for the Biggest Loser Ranch!


Today I weigh 243.4 pounds and my body is starting to transform. My clothes are getting baggy and my muscles are getting bigger. I'm so excited about my new future! Before, when I was preparing for The Biggest Loser 12, I was seriously doubtful of my physical ability to do the show. Now, I'm so much stronger and all the more determined to be one of the next contestants on The Biggest Loser 13! It's my time and I will succeed!


My latest update video is below. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Aaaw Theresa! I am so, so proud of you girl. You have transformed into this more amazing person even without the BL. I hope you do get through this year. I'll be rooting for ya, but remember... with or without BL you're still amazingly inspiring.

    P.S I love your notebook. It's pretty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! I will be rooting for you! Even if you aren't selected, please know that you inspire me daily with your blog and your FB posts! I wish you all the best and I truly appreciate everything you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Added you to the blog roll. It was fun seeing your video. You get such a better sense of a person when you can hear them and watch them.

    A pound lost is awesome especially over the 4th of July weekend with all the bbq food n' stuff. Congrats and keep it up!
    Starting At 500 Pounds

    ReplyDelete