Monday, June 6, 2011

On The Road Again...Tempt Me Not, Ye Wendy's Frosty!

Me and my awesome Hubby (Jemel) at Chick-fil-A.

Madison (almost 7) and Anthony (almost 13) enjoying a little bit of ice cream after their lunch.

Today the Gause Family packed up the car for a road trip to Charlotte, NC. We were meeting my parents there (They live in Virginia and this would be the half way point between their home and Atlanta) to have lunch and drop our son, Anthony, off with them. Anthony gets to spend the month of June with his Opa and Oma (That's what the kids call my parents. It's German for Grandpa and Grandma). Knowing we would be on the road for about 4 1/2 hours each way, I made sure to pack plenty of bottled water, grapes, baby carrots, granola bars and baked chips so we would have healthy snacks and not have to waste our money and calories on junk. On one of our many restroom breaks, my hubby brings back Frosty treats from Wendy's to the car. I immediately said, "No Thanks," and stuffed a handful of dry Multi Grain Cheerios in my mouth, before I could "accidentally" shove a spoonful of chocolaty Frosty goodness in there instead. You see, my husband is very supportive of my weight loss efforts, but he doesn't really get the intense battle I go through with temptation every day. Thankfully, I'm extremely motivated and focused now, so that Frosty can go hop in the trashcan for all I care.

Madison is holding her right leg up, so you can't see it, but she broke her foot this past Friday. I feel so bad that she has to go through this, especially at the beginning of her Summer break! Sooooo...As you can imagine, each of our restroom breaks on this trip carried a little bit of a challenge with it. Good times!

We finally arrived in Mooresville, NC, which is a suburb of Charlotte, for a nice family lunch at one of our favorite spots, Chick-fil-A. I did decide to have the signature fried chicken sandwich (about 9 WW points), but I substituted fruit for the fries and I drank Diet Dr. Pepper, instead of the real stuff. It was a very nice, yet way too brief, visit with my parents. Before I knew it, we were all finished eating and a huge part of my heart was leaving for Virginia. Jemel, Madison and I got back on the road to go home to Atlanta, GA...Sniff!

Anthony, Mom (Sandy a.k.a. Oma), Dad (John a.k.a. Opa), me and Madison

During our lengthy ride home, I was met with temptation once again. This time the culprits were a Snickers bar and a king size bag of Peanut M&Ms. Of course my sweet hubby offered to share his sinful snacks. I politely said no to the Snickers right off the bat, but a couple of hours later I gave in to the M&Ms. Since I was allowing my self to enjoy a treat I hadn't had in months, I knew I had to approach this in a controlled manner. I let my husband eat a handful at a time while I sucked on one M&M at a time. This resulted in him eating the majority of the bag and me getting a taste of chocolate, but not going overboard.

I have to say that I'm pretty proud of how I handled the dreaded Road Trip Temptation. If I can do it, anyone can! Yay me, and yay us! We can do it!!!

1 comment: