Saturday, June 18, 2011

A Tribute to the Best Dad (and "Opa") Ever...Happy Fathers' Day!

Our Father/Daughter dance at my wedding, November 22, 2008.

John Ihrig has answered to many names over the years; John, Johnny, Ike, Buddha, The Professor, Green-eyed Soul Brother (my personal favorite), Mr. News, and most recently Opa (German for Grandpa). I know him best as Dad.

My dad, the Maryland Fan. I believe I've used this facial expression many times.

Friend to many, stranger to none. My dad rarely meets a person he doesn't want to chat it up with. I was very shy as a child (not so much anymore) so I've always admired this quality in him. He was, and still is, my super hero (Captain Commando). When my mom needed a co-leader for our Girl Scout events, my dad was there. The best DJ our Girl Scout overnight lock-ins ever had, hands down! I could always count on him to go door to door with me selling cookies. He also used to make up the coolest Mickey Mouse detective stories, that he would tell to my brother and me before we went to bed. Complete with all the voices. Just about every Saturday, we could count on having a yummy pancake breakfast prepared with love by Chef Dad.

My dad, Sean and me in the early 80s. Check out our awesome fashion!

Me and my dad at the Girl Scout Father/Daughter Banquet, Spring 1989.

I am so blessed to have a wonderful dad in my life. Wish I could say I've always been the best daughter, but my teen years were tough. Thankfully, we all survived to tell about it! Now I'm all grown up with a family of my own. My kids call my dad Opa.

My dad (Opa) holding my son, Anthony, who is now almost 13.

When it comes to personality and goofy sense of humor, my dad and I were cut from the same cloth. There are times when the silliness gets out of hand and we laugh so hard we can't breath. We have always had the best conversations. He also loves to dance, as do I. Check out this video clip of my dad getting his groove on (I did get his permission to share, honest). It's pretty awesome!


I will close by saying, "Thanks for everything, Dad! Happy Fathers' Day!! Smooches and Big Bear Hugs!"
Love,
Your Baby Girl, Theresa

No comments:

Post a Comment