Sunday, June 5, 2011

Who Is Theresa, and What Is This Journey All About?

My mom, me and my little brother at the White House when I was 11 years old.
Hello, friends!
Hmmmm...Where do I begin? Let's see...My journey to freedom from obesity began this past March when I applied to be on The Biggest Loser, Season 12 (my audition video is included at the end of this post, if you're interested in viewing it). I was almost 268 lbs and feeling trapped in my own body. Although this journey got started in March, my battle with obesity began much earlier. I've been over weight for most of my life. The first time my mom took me to Weight Watchers with her was when I was 11 years old. Imagine being in the 5th grade and having to bring tuna fish with bean sprouts in pita bread pockets for lunch. As if I didn't already feel awkward enough as a chubby pre-teen. Thankfully, I've been blessed to have a wonderful family and great friends that have always supported me throughout my life. Now I'm even more blessed to have a loving husband and three awesome kids, as well. I don't ever want to leave my loved ones early due to health problems I can prevent by losing this weight! There is so much at stake in this fight for my life.

My son, Anthony, and me at 267.8 lbs (I'm holding my friends baby).


Okay, back to The Biggest Loser...Well, I didn't get selected for the show, so I decided to start my own walk down the path to health and fitness. Fortunately, I'm not alone on this journey. During the audition waiting period I had the pleasure of meeting some wonderful people on Twitter, who were also Biggest Loser (BL) 12 hopefuls. Together, we started a group called BL Team Twitter. We are all determined to lose weight by getting more active and eating healthy, while giving each other the motivation we need. BL Team Twitter also has a page on Facebook (Please check it out when you get a chance). Since getting the news that I wasn't cast for BL12, I started journaling everything I eat and all of my exercise everyday. My activity has increased, from an occasional mile walked here or there, to at least 6 miles a week. I threw out all the junk food in our house and refuse to buy it anymore. Our meals now consist of mostly lean protein, whole grains and lots of fruits and veggies. Water has become my drink of choice (I still get my coffee fix, though); drinking at least 2-3 liters per day of the H2O. I have lost a total of 17.6 lbs in the past 11 weigh-ins (I weigh in every Saturday morning) since I began! Woo hoo!!!! I do plan to try for BL, Season 13 (collecting video clips as we speak), but in the mean time I want to lose as much weight as I can on my own. Who knows, I might even be too small for the show by the time they start casting. Join me and let's do this together! You can also follow me on Twitter @tihrig74 or check me out on YouTube by searching for Tihrig1974. We can do this, one pound at a time!!!

Me at 250.2 lbs 6/4/11


No comments:

Post a Comment